Using an old drill for a motor was a great idea. it reduced many parts,
such as the main drive wheel, belt, covers etc. it also added an
important feature of speed control, as you can see in the video. the
only thing is that it is crucial to align the drill correctly, and it's not
very easy. I had to take apart the drill clamp after gluing it due to
misalignment. but after I got the hang of it, it was quick and easy to
finish. mirroring the sander wasn't necessary. the drill goes both ways.
Buying a 4-way power strip with 3 meter cable that comes with an
integral switch costs less than buying a switch alone, and as a bonus
you get a lighted switch.
The area of the knobs at the bottom front feels quite tight to me. it
seems that more torque is needed to clamp the table firmly in place, but
there is not sufficient room for a bigger knob.
I'm not sure why the main pivot rod is 5mm while the hole in the main
frame is 6mm. I made both 6mm and used 6mm rod.
Oops - shaft and hole should be same size (5 mm)
I'll fix that in the plans.
Even reversible drills are sometimes better turning forward than reverse,
so mirroring it may still have been worth it.